On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Secret Meat Business - English
- 20:30 - Secret Meat Business - Malaysian
- 21:00 - Secret Meat Business - Italian
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Rich chocolate, nutty praline and crème fraiche make this dessert from Allegra McEvedy impossible to resist
Method1. For the puddings: Butter 8 ramekins, dust the insides with cocoa powder and put them in the fridge.
2. Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 3.
3. Separate the eggs into two bowls, using a small one for the yolks and a big one for the whites so that it is large enough to whisk them in.
4. In a third, larger bowl, cream the butter and 150g of the caster sugar. Add the egg yolks one by one, and then fold in the cocoa powder and ground hazelnuts. Stir the melted chocolate through the mixture.
5. Whisk the egg whites until firm, then add 60g of sugar and whisk a bit more to form peaks. Fold the egg whites into the mix in three parts using a large metal spoon, making sure that each one is thoroughly incorporated before adding the next.
6. Boil a full kettle. Gently load the mixture into the dusted ramekins, allowing about 2cm space for them to rise.
7. Place the ramekins in a deep baking dish. Pour boiling water from the kettle into the dish so that it comes halfway up the ramekins – top up with water from the tap if necessary.
8. Place in the oven for 35 minutes.
9. For the praline: While the puddings are cooking, put the sugar in a small, cold saucepan with a thick bottom and wet with a tablespoon of water. Leave for a couple of minutes so the water can soak in.
10. Lightly oil a sheet of greaseproof paper and lay on a baking tray.
11. Heat the sugar on a high heat. Stand by the pan. Don’t stir the mixture but swirl the pan if you see the edges darkening.
12. When it just becomes a golden brown caramel, quickly add the hazelnuts and lemon zest.
13. Coat all the nuts in the caramel and then turn out onto the oiled greaseproof paper. Leave to cool, then roughly chop.
14. When the puddings are ready, turn each ramekin upside down onto serving plates and leave to stand for 2-3 minutes before firmly tapping the base and lifting the ramekins off.
15. Serve with a hefty sprinkling of cocoa powder, praline and a generous dollop of the crème fraiche or clotted cream.
For the puddings
- 6 eggs
- 180 g butter, plus extra for greasing, at room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar, for the butter
- 100 g cocoa powder, plus a little extra for dusting
- 125 g ground hazelnuts, either bought ground or ground in a food processor
- 100 g bitter chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, melted in a microwave or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water
- 60 g caster sugar, for the egg whites
For the praline
- 60 g caster sugar
- 50 g hazelnuts, whole and toasted
- 1 lemon zest
- creme fraiche, or clotted cream, to serve