On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Allegra McEvedy’s Turkish flatbreads combine lamb, mint, cumin and the smoky flavour of roasted aubergine
Method1. For the kebabs: Mix the kebab ingredients together except for the aubergines in a bowl and season heavily with salt and pepper then divide into four roughly even balls – it is best to use your hands for this.
2. Preheat the grill or get the barbecue hot.
3. Cut the tops off the aubergines then cut each one into three pieces widthways, keeping each set of three together.
4. Take one set of three and skewer each piece onto a kebab stick, keeping the natural shape of the aubergine. Then insert a second stick, just to be sure.
5. Pull the aubergine pieces a couple of inches apart. Take one quarter of the lamb mince in your hand and squeeze the meat into one of the gaps, keeping the same line as the aubergine. Do the same with the rest of the mince, so you have two double-decker mince sandwiches.
6. Place under a very hot grill or on the barbecue for 15-20 minutes, turning regularly. They’re ready when the meat is browned and the aubergine is blackened on the outside and squidgy to the touch.
7. To serve: Slice the aubergine pieces open and use the back of a knife to scrape the flesh onto the flatbreads. Discard the skin. Season the flesh with salt and pepper. Lay a few slices of tomato and a dollop of yoghurt onto the flatbread.
8. Cut the meatballs in half and divide them among the flatbreads. Add a squeeze of lemon, plenty of chopped parsley and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
For the kebabs
- 400 g minced lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 shin Mediterranean aubergines
- 2 large flatbreads
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp yogurt
- squeeze of lemons
- fresh parsley, chopped
- dried red chilli flakes, optional
Tips and suggestions
- When cooking the kebabs, pay attention to looking after the aubergine and the lamb will look after itself.