On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 1
- 20:30 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 2
- 21:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 3
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Pomegranate molasses and star anise give this Turkish guvec from Allegra McEvedy an authentic, exotic flavour
Method1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C/gas 5.
2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan until almost smoking, and season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and a splash of oil.
3. Put the thighs in the pan, skin side down, and cook until the skin is nicely browned.
4. Lift them out and then add the onions, garlic, peppers, aubergine, chilli, thyme, cumin and sausage for about 12 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
5. Add the bulgar and dates, followed by the tomato puree and stir well. Pour in the red wine vinegar, followed by the chicken stock, pomegranate molasses, cinnamon and star anise and bring to the boil.
6. Turn the heat off and nestle the thighs back in so that the flesh is under the liquid but the skin is still sticking out. Put a lid on the pan and put it in the oven for 40 minutes.
7. When you take it out, remove the lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Serve with Turkish bread.
Love a good chicken casserole? Take a look at our top 10 chicken casserole recipes
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large free range chicken thighs
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 small aubergine, diced into 3cm cubes
- 1 green chilli, sliced, with seeds
- handful thyme, tied together with string
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 100 g sujuk, or spiced Turkish sausages, sliced
- 50 g fine bulgar wheat
- 6 dates, stoned and sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses, or tamarind paste
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
Tips and suggestions
- If you can't find sujuk sausage, try chorizo instead