On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Istanbul
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Amalfi Coast
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
This divine dessert from Lisa Harris is a real show stopper - it combines gooey meringue, golden caramel and chocolate salt
Method1. For the meringue: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking parchment.
2. Mix caster and muscovado sugar together in a large bowl, breaking up any clumps of muscovado with your fingers. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks with an electric mixer. Add half the sugar and beat until the meringue is thick and glossy, and stands in thick peaks. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the rest of the sugar, one spoonful at a time.
3. Sprinkle the vinegar and sift the cornflour over the meringue; fold in with the metal spoon. Fold in the chocolate drops. Sift cocoa powder over mixture and give just a few swirls with the spoon; you want the cocoa powder to remain as swirls in the meringue, and it will mix together more as you place it on the baking tray.
4. Spoon the meringue onto the lined baking sheet, making a circle about 20cm wide. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Lower the oven temperature to 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1 and bake for another 35-40 minutes until crisp on the outside. Switch off the oven and leave the meringue inside to cool – avoid the temptation to open the oven door!
6. For the salted caramel sauce: melt the two sugars, butter and golden syrup in a small, heavy based saucepan. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cream and ½ tsp good quality salt. Stir together. Taste the sauce carefully (it will be hot!) and add more salt to taste. Heat for 2 more minutes on a medium heat, being careful that it doesn’t burn.
7. For the filling: whip the cream to soft peaks. Swirl a few spoonfuls of the cooled caramel sauce through the cream so that it’s marbled with streaks of caramel.
8. For the chocolate salt: grate the chocolate into a bowl and mix with the salt and sugar. Whizz with a hand blender if you want a really fine salt.
9. To serve: use a wide spatula to transfer the meringue to a large, flat serving plate, carefully removing the lining paper.
10. Pile the cream filling onto the meringue, and lift into peaks with a palette knife.
11. Just before serving, scatter over chocolate curls and finish with a drizzle of caramel sauce and a sprinkling of chocolate salt.
For the meringue
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100 g chocolate drops
For the salted caramel sauce
- 65 g light soft brown sugar
- 65 g caster sugar
- 100 g best quality unsalted butter
- 65 g golden syrup
- 170 ml double cream
- 1 tsp good quality fine salt, such as fleur de sel
For the filling
- 400 ml double cream
- 1 packets chocolate curls, to decorate
For the chocolate salt (optional)
Tips and suggestions
- This chocolate salt will wow your friends and is delicious on any dessert. Store in an airtight container.