On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Food Heroes: Another Helping - Rick Stein's Food Heroes: Another H (2): Ep 11
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Food Heroes: Another Helping - Rick Stein's Food Heroes: Another H (2): Ep 12
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Food Heroes: Another Helping - Rick Stein's Food Heroes: Another H (2): Ep 1
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Cheer on your favourite sport this summer with ceremonious flaming cupcakes. Perfect for sharing with friends.
Method1. For the cakes: Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Place cones into a cupcake tin, standing them upright.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, flour and cocoa. Beat milk into the mixture until smooth.
3. Pour batter into cones, filling each ¾ full or to the ridge of the cone. You may find it neater to pipe the cake batter into the cones using a piping bag with a large round nozzle.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Leave to cool.
5. For the icing: Beat the butter until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
6. Add the vanilla essence, remaining icing sugar and milk. Beat until creamy and smooth.
7. Place the icing into two bowls. Stir yellow colouring into one bowl, and orange into the other until they are suitably flame coloured.
8. Put orange icing into one disposable piping bag, and yellow icing into another (you do not add a nozzle at this point, just transfer the icing into the bag). Snip just half an inch off the tip of each bag. Don’t cut it too small, otherwise the icing won’t come out - but if it’s too large it will get messy!
9. Take another clean piping bag, and cut a hole big enough to take a large star nozzle. Drop the nozzle into the piping bag and place the yellow and orange bags in so the tips sit in the nozzle. Twist the top of the bag so no icing escapes, and gently squeeze the icing out onto a plate until the two colours come out.
10. Now pipe swirls of yellow and orange icing onto each cooled cake, so it looks like an olympic flame.
For the cakes
- 12 ice cream cone wafers, with flat bottoms
- 125 g butter, at room temperature
- 125 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 drops vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp milk
For the flame icing
- 140 g butter, softened
- 290 g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- a few drops of orange and yellow food colouring
Tips and suggestions
- Decorate these cupcakes with edible glitter if you have some!
For more sports-inspired cakes and biscuits see our sports recipe gallery