On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 2
- 21:00 - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner
- 22:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 1
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus soaking
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Try Allegra McEvedy’s take on firinda sutlac, a chilled vanilla and rosewater rice pudding served with spiced apricot compote and pomegranate seeds
Method1. For the rice pudding: Put the soaked rice into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring pan to the boil and cook, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, or until almost all the water has been absorbed.
2. Stir in the milk and simmer gently without a lid until the mixture thickens.
3. Pour in the sugar and cook at the same temperature for a further 20-25 minutes, stirring from time to time until it begins to thicken again - it should be slightly thicker than pouring consistency, but far from solid.
4. Preheat oven to the highest temperature. Stir in the vanilla extract and rosewater, then tip the mixture into an ovenproof dish.
5. Put on the top of the very hot oven for around 15 minutes, or until the top is scalded then leave to cool.
6. For the compote: Put the dried apricots into a small saucepan with the spices, then pour over water until they are just covered. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and blitz to a purée.
7. Serve rice pudding at room temperature or, as they do in Turkey, slightly chilled. Top off with a scattering of pomegranate seeds.
- 230 g pudding rice, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1.2 litres milk
- 350 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp rose water
For the compote
- 180 g dried apricots
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 500 ml water
- 1/2 pomegranate, seeds to serve
Tips and suggestions
- Allegra recommends serving the apricot compote slightly warm with the cool rice pudding.