On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Stockholm
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Princes' Islands
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min, plus 15 minutes cooling
- Makes 6
A dark chocolate cupcake, surrounded by shards of rolled chocolate, topped with a rich, creamy icing. This simple cupcake recipe by Lisa Harris is as indulgent and impressive
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Line a 6-hole cupcake tin with paper cupcake cases.
2. Add lemon juice to milk and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda together into a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, cream the butter with half of the sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat the dissolved coffee in with the egg. Beat this egg mixture into the batter, followed by the remainder of the sugar.
6. Beat the flour mixture into the batter a third at a time, alternating with a third of the soured milk until it is evenly mixed.
7. Spoon the cake batter into the cases. Bake for 20 minutes until they are firm but springy to the touch, and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack
9. For the icing: melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and whisk in the salt, sugar and soured cream into the melted chocolate. The mixture will thicken up to the consistency of icing. Leave for 15 minutes to cool.
10. Remove the cupcake cases from each cooled cupcake. Take a palette knife and spread a layer of icing around the side of each cupcake where the sides of the case should be. It should be just thick enough to hold the chocolate cigarillos.
11. Break the chocolate cigarillos in half at a slight angle, and place them round the side of each cupcake, with the broken end pointing up to form a row of cigarillos all the way round. Don’t worry if the shards are different heights, as this adds to the effect. Repeat for each cupcake and set aside.
12. Pipe swirls of icing on top of each cooled cupcake, using the small star nozzle of a piping bag. Decorate with grates chocolate and a raspberry.
- 0.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 110 ml milk
- 110 g plain flour
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 55 g butter, at room temperature
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 large egg
For the icing
- dark chocolate, grated
- 6 raspberries
Tips and suggestions
- These cupcakes are quite intense – so one cupcake can feed two people!
Chocoloate cigarillos are available from good cake decorating and sugar craft shops, or from online cookery stores