On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The East End and Essex
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Royal Family
- 22:00 - River Cottage Veg - Bring It On
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Stick the kettle on! This light crumbly fruit cake is a teatime classic that will keep your guests entertained
Method1. Set the oven to 180C/fan 160/gas 4. Line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with baking parchment.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs until smooth.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir well. Place the mixture in the cake tin.
4. Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 10 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out and allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve sliced.
- 115 g butter
- 75 g muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 225 g mixed dried fruit
- 75 g glace cherries
- The grated rind of 1 large oranges
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 175 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50 g ground almonds
- 50 ml milk
Tips and suggestions
- This simple cake recipe will keep for up to 1 week in a cake tin.