On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Baking It
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Dim Sum
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Cost
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus overnight for allowing the decorations to set
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- Makes about 12 cupcakes
Turn heads at your Jubilee street party with these simple cupcakes topped with flags and crowns
Method1. Heat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Line a cup cake tin with 12 paper cupcake cases.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time until smooth, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles. Stir in the flour until smooth.
3. Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch.
4. For the butter cream: place the butter in a bowl with 1-2 tsp boiling water, add the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Place in a piping bag with a large star nozzle and pipe on top of the cakes. Decorate with sugar sprinkles.
5. To make the crowns and flags, draw a simple crown and flag shape onto card and cut out to use as a template. Dust work surface with a little icing sugar. Roll out the sugar paste or ready to roll icing thinly then using a sharp knife cut out the shapes from different colour icings. To add the stripes, cut out very thin strips and place on top, using a very slightly damp paintbrush to paint the icing and stick it in place.
6. Allow the shapes to dry on baking parchment overnight- they will keep for up to a month in a dry place, but once on the cakes will soften, so add them on the day.
Recipe provided by The Flour Advisory Bureau