On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Peking Duck
- 20:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Fish Pie
- 21:00 - Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation - State of the Nation
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Topped with glace cherries and plenty of sprinkles – everyone will want a slice of this retro cake at your party
Method1. Heat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Grease and Line 2 x 20cm (8in) round sponge tins with baking parchment.
2. For the cake: Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and creamy, it should be pale in colour. Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time until smooth, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles.
3 Stir in the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Divide mixture between the cake tins and bake for 25 –30 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack then remove the paper
5. For the butter cream: place the butter in a bowl with 1-2 tsp boiling water, add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
6. When the cake is cooled, remove the paper and place on cake on a serving plate, flat side upwards, Spread with the jam and a little of the butter cream. Place the other cake on top.
7. Spread the remaining butter cream all around the side of the cake. Place the sugar sprinkles on a plate or shallow bowl, then pick up the cake and roll the sides of the cake in the sprinkles. Place on a serving plate.
8. For the topping: mix the fondant icing sugar with just enough water to make a thick icing that just pours. Spread it over the top of the cake to completely cover it, then decorate with cherries and jelly sweets.
Recipe provided by The Flour Advisory Bureau
- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 250 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 50 g butter
- 200 g icing sugar
For the decoration
- 1 tub of sprinkles
- 200 g fondant icing sugar
- 100 g glace cherries
- A handful of green jelly sweets