On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians: Still Hungry - Lazio and Machismo
- 21:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 21:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus chilling and cooling
- Cook time:
- 50 min
The Hairy Bikers’ rich pie has a crunchy biscuit base, rich chocolate filling topped with whipped cream - a little goes a long way
Method1. For the base and sides: Melt the butter in a small pan. Break the biscuits into chunky pieces and put in a food processor. Blitz into crumbs then add the melted butter and with the motor running blend until thoroughly mixed.
2. Sprinkle the crumbs into a 23cm wide x 4cm deep pie dish lined with foil and press firmly into the base and sides. (The base of the pie dish should be around 18cm.) Make sure the biscuit base is evenly distributed, especially where the base meets the sides. Put on a small baking tray and chill for 30 minutes.
3. For the filling: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan and leave to stand for a 10 minutes.
4. Beat the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric whisk until very light and creamy. They should roughly triple in volume.
5. Whisk in the chocolate mixture in a steady stream then whisk in the sifted cocoa powder and cream until well combined.
6. Pour into the prepared biscuit base and bake on the tray for 35-40 minutes until just firm and slightly risen. Leave to cool in the tin. The pie filling will sink a little as it cools.
7. When cold, remove carefully from the tin and slide off the foil and onto a serving plate. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
8. For the topping: Whisk the cream with the sugar until very soft peaks form. Spoon on top of the pie in generous peaks. Sprinkle with the grated chocolate and serve.
For the base and sides
- 75 g butter
- 150 g chocolate digestive biscuits
- 150 g dark chocolate sandwich biscuits, such as Oreos
For the filling
- 135 g plain dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 135 g butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 150 g light soft brown sugar
- 25 g cocoa powder, sifted
- 150 ml double cream
For the topping
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 25 g plain dark chocolate, grated or chocolate curls
Tips and suggestions
- Make in a metal pie dish with sloping sides for the best results. You can line the pie dish with foil to make it easier to take out at the end.