On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Piedmont
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Feast
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- Makes 18
Be patriotic with Lisa Harris' simple cupcakes decorated a royal red, white and blue. Cut out these cute Union Jack flags to decorate your cupcakes.
Method1. Heat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Line your cup cake tins with 18 paper cases.
2. Cream the butter with sugar using an electric mixer until pale, soft and light. Add eggs a little at a time, combining well after each addition.
3. Sift the flours into a separate bowl. Add a third of the flour to the butter mixture, beat well, and then beat in a third of the milk. Repeat until all the flour and milk has been added and the mixture is smooth.
4. Spoon mixture into cupcake cases. To make the ‘red, white and blue’ effect, push one raspberry into six of the cupcakes, and three blueberries into each of the remaining cupcakes so they are just covered by the mixture. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then place on wire rack.
5. For the icing: beat butter, vanilla, milk and half the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually add the rest of icing sugar bit by bit and beat until soft and light.
6. Split the icing into three bowls. Dye one third red, the second royal blue, and leave the third white. Ice four of the cooled cupcakes with each of the colours to create a red, white and blue range. You can use a piping bag with a large star nozzle, or swirl the icing on with a teaspoon.
7. Finish each cupcake with our jubilee cupcake decorations of a Jubilee stamp or Jubilee Union Jack, for the final regal touch.
For the cupcakes
- 110 g butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 130 g self-raising flour
- 115 g plain flour
- 125 ml milk
- 18 blueberries
- 6 raspberries
For the icing
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 60 ml milk
- 500 g icing sugar
- Red & Blue food colouring
Tips and suggestions
- Print out our special cupcake decorations to finish off your patriotic cupcakes.