On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 4
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Tarts
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 15 minutes cooling time
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Earl Grey flavouring and zesty lemon icing make Lisa Harris’s gorgeous cupcakes fit for a royal tea party
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases; we like gold or yellow cases for this regal cupcake.
2. Put tea bags and milk in a small saucepan, and gently heat to boiling point. Remove from the heat, cover with a lid, and set aside to let the tea bags flavor steep into the milk.
3. Cream the butter with sugar until pale, smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Sift the flours into a separate bowl and grate in the lemon zest. Add a third of the flour to the butter and sugar mixture and beat well.
5. Pour the milk into a measuring jug, and top back up to 130ml in case some has evaporated whilst boiling. Pour a third of the milky tea into the batter, and beat whilst adding a third of the flour. Repeat until all the flour and milk has been added and the mixture is smooth.
6. Spoon mixture into prepared cases and bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool in tins for 10 minutes and then leave to cool on a wire rack.
7. For the icing: beat butter, vanilla, milk and half the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually add the rest of icing sugar and lemon zest, and beat until soft and light.
8. Ice the cooled cupcakes with a generous swirl on top of each cake. You can use a piping bag with a large star nozzle, or just swirl it on with a teaspoon. For the final regal touch, decorate with a small crown cut from gold or yellow paper.
- 130 ml milk
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- 110 g butter, at room temperature
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 120 g plain flour
- 2 lemons, zest
For the icing
- 125 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 ml milk
- 500 g icing sugar, sieved
- 1 lemon, zest