On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 2
- 21:00 - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner
- 22:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 1
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus 20 minutes sitting time
- Cook time:
- 40 min
- 8-12 slices
Here's a delicious and seasonal twist on the classic Victoria sponge cake. Serve with tea and an extra blob of the sticky pink rhubarb compote on the side.
Method1. For the sponges: Preheat the oven to 170°C and butter and line the bases of two 20cm cake tins.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until very pale and fluffy using an electric mixer for at least four minutes.
3. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time with a small amount of the flour. This stops the mixture from curdling.
4. Add a pinch of salt and the remaining flour until the ingredients just combine. Don't over mix it at this stage.
5. Split the mixture between the two tins and place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. The sponges should be golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer or cake tester inserted into the centre should come out clean. Let the sponges cool in their tins.
6. For the filling: Mix the chopped rhubarb with the sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Leave to sit for 20 minutes.
7. Heat the rhubarb mixture in a saucepan over a medium heat until the rhubarb is soft but still holds its shape.
8. Sieve the mixture over a bowl to save the syrup and then put the syrup back into the pan and keep heating until it thickens up.
9. Combine the rhubarb and syrup and leave to cool.
10. While your rhubarb is cooling, lightly whip the double cream.
11. On a cake stand or pretty plate, spread the bottom layer of sponge with the rhubarb compote and then add a layer of whipped double cream. Top with the second sponge and sift over the icing sugar to decorate.
For more recipes from April Carter take a look at her blog Rhubarb & Rose or on Twitter @rhubarbandrose.
See our rhubarb page for more recipes.
For the sponge
- 200 g unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering cake tins
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 3 large eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour
For the filling
- 400 g rhubarb, trimmed and chopped into 2.5cm chunks
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 300 ml double cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
Tips and suggestions
- Allowing the rhubarb filling to sit before heating it draws some of the moisture out of the rhubarb and lets it take on the vanilla flavour.