On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Amalfi
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Grow Your Own
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
These delightful fairy cakes are a regal confection from a simple mini sponge
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan oven/gas mark 5. Line a bun tin with paper cases.
2. Make the cakes. Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy, using an electric hand whisk if you have one. Gradually add the egg, a little at a time, and whisk in. If the mixture looks as if it is going to curdle then add a spoonful of flour.
3. When all the egg has been added, fold in the flour, baking powder and orange zest and juice, using a large metal spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly among the individual cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden on top. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Make the buttercream by beating together the butter and half the icing in a bowl until soft and creamy using an electric hand whisk. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar, one spoonful at a time, beating in well after each addition. Fold in the orange zest.
6. Carefully cut the slightly risen tops off each cake and set to one side. Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe a swirl on top of each cake. Spoon a little jam on top. Cut each of the cake tops in half and push into the buttercream at an angle. Dust each cake with icing sugar to serve.
This recipe is made using Budgen's SuperValu range.
For the sponge
- 125 g butter
- 125 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 orange, zest
- 1/2 orange, juice
For the buttercream
- 100 g butter
- 300 g icing
- raspberry jam
Tips and suggestions
- When using a piping bag for the icing hold it just above the nozzle and pull the rest of the bag over your hand.