On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Oxfordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - East Sussex
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Luke Nguyen uses bamboo to wrap his traditional crunchy on the outside, smooth on the inside, Burmese snacks - serve with sticky rice to make into a main
Method1. Place the pork, chilli, garlic and salt on a large chopping board. With 2 sharp knives or cleavers, minced all the ingredients together.
2. Take one young bamboo shoot and place a tablespoon of the pork filling in the middle. Sprinkle some of ginger leaf on top and close up parcel securing it with bamboo or kitchen string. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3. In a medium sized wok, deep-fry at 180C for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown and crisp.
- 150 g pork, minced
- 1 green chilli
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 young bamboo shoots, semi stripped and softened by boiling for 30 minutes
- A tsp of fresh chopped ginger, or 2 ginger leaves finely sliced
- vegetable oil
- Bamboo or kitchen string, for tying
Tips and suggestions
- You can find fresh bamboo shoots in Asian food stores, you'll need to remove husks and boil to soften. A canned version is also available. Or you could substitute by tying with leeks or artichoke strips.