On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Delia Smith's Christmas Collection - Delia Smith's Christmas: Ep 5
- 20:30 - Delia Smith's Christmas Collection - Delia Smith's Christmas: Ep 6
- 21:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Party Food
- Prep time:
- 45 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- Makes 20
The Hairy Bikers’ stuff butterflied prawns with spiced crab meat, lemon zest, herbs and breadcrumbs for a lip smacking starter
Method1. To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onion, pepper and celery over a low heat for 10 minutes, until softened, stirring regularly.
2. Stir in a small knob of the butter (around 10g), garlic and 1 tablespoon of the Creole seasoning and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from the heat and tip into a large mixing bowl. Add the breadcrumbs and leave to cool for about 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
4. To prepare the prawns, rinse in a colander under cold water. Take one prawn at a time and first twist off the head. Peel off the rest of the shell and legs, leaving behind just the tip of the tail. Run under a thin stream of cold water to rinse.
5. Working very carefully, butterfly each prawn by cutting down the back almost all the way through. Flip out the long, black intestinal tract with the tip of the knife and discard.
6. Rinse the butterflied prawn to remove any debris and place on a clean tea towel to drain.
7. Repeat the process with all the remaining prawns. Place the prawns, cut side up, on a baking tray lined with foil.
8. Stir the crab meat, mayonnaise, lemon zest and parsley into the breadcrumb mixture.
9. Season with a good pinch of salt. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the open prawns, heaping up towards the middle.
10. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the stuffing is golden brown and sizzling hot. All the prawns should be completely pink.
11. Just before the prawns are ready, melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan and stir in the reserved ½ teaspoon Creole seasoning. Transfer the prawns to a serving platter, drizzle over the spiced butter and serve hot with wedges of lemon for squeezing.
12. Serve up to 3 of these prawns as a starter with a small dressed salad and 4-5 as a main meal.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green green pepper, finely diced
- 1 slender stick celery, trimmed and diced
- 40 g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp Creole seasoning, plus 1/2 tsp
- 50 g dry white breadcrumbs, or crushed crackers
- 20 fresh shell-on jumbo prawns, (each around 60g)
- 100 g white crab meat
- 50 g mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, finely grated zest only
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- lemon wedges, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- If you can’t get hold of Creole seasoning, use 1 ½ tsp ground paprika, 1 tsp ground black pepper, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, and ¼ tsp each of dried thyme and oregano.
To make your own dried breadcrumbs, spread fresh white breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and dry in a very low oven for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally until crisp but not coloured.