On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Making It Up Isn't Making Do
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Leftovers
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus soaking
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Luke Nguyen creates spring vegetable wraps served with a chilli dipping sauce, perfect for a snack or starter
Method1. Soak the glass noodles in hot water for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. In a hot wok, add the oil and sauté the garlic until fragrant.
3. Add bean sprouts, daikon, carrot, bamboo shoots, cabbage and glass noodles and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Now add Asian celery, spring onion and tofu and stir-fry for a further minute. Season with half a teaspoon each of salt and sugar, and light soy sauce and stir-fry for a further minute.
5. Transfer the bean-sprout mixture to a glass bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
6. Place a spring roll skin on a clean work surface. Place a lettuce leaf in the centre. Add a handful of the bean-spout mixture.
7. Roll the spring roll skin to enclose the filling, folding the left and right edges in as you go.
8. Repeat with the remaining spring roll sheets and bean-sprout mixture.
9. Slice each wrap into thirds. Serve with the sweet chilli sauce.
- 40 g glass noodles
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 150 g bean sprouts
- 150 g daikon radish, peeled and shredded
- 150 g carrots, peeled and shredded
- 100 g young bamboo shoots, sliced
- 150 g Chinese cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 handful Asian celery, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 100 g fried tofu, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 12 spring roll skins
- 1 head lettuce, leaves separated
- chilli sauce, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- Daikon is mild white radish, shaped like a large carrot popular in South Asian cuisine. Find it in specialist Asian or Carribean shops. Alternative: regular radish
Asian celery is much smaller and finer than celery in the UK, but has a much stronger flavour. Buy it from Asian supermarkets. Alternative: regular celery