By: From: My Sri Lanka with Peter Kuruvita
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Peter Kuruvita cooks freshly caught squid in a black and sour sauce that has plenty of bite
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- You can use squid or cuttlefish for this recipe - but make sure you don't overcook it.
- 350 g squid, cleaned, heads and tentacles reserved
- 3 pieces goroka
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves, leaves picked
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 1/2 lime, juice only
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Cut the squid tubes into 1cm thick slices, then place in the cooking pot.
2. Add the tentacles, cleaned heads, goroka, all the spices and ½ teaspoon finely ground black pepper and combine well.
3. Add the onion, garlic, curry leaves, a good pinch of salt and the chilli. Stir in the coconut milk and cream, lime juice, bring up to the boil and then turn down the heat, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.