By: From: My Sri Lanka with Peter Kuruvita
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus marinating
- Cook time:
- 15 min
A popular spicy Sri Lankan dish with chunks of marinated tuna, crunchy vegetables and a sweet and sour sauce served up by Peter Kuruvita
- 300 g tuna steaks, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 3 banana chillies, chopped
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp vinegar
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the tuna in a bowl with salt, chilli powder, curry leaves and lime juice. Stir to coat the tuna and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
2. For the sweet and sour sauce: combine the tomato sauce and vinegar and set aside until ready to use.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Once it reaches smoking point, add the onion, garlic and leeks.
4. Once the mixture is fragrant and the onion is translucent, add the chillies and fry for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the tuna and toss to coat in the spice mixture. Stir in the sweet and sour sauce and cover. Leave to cook for a few minutes, or until the tuna is just cooked.
6. Stir through the tomato wedges, season with salt and pepper and serve sprinkled with curry leaves and the reserved chilli.