On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Brooklyn
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Harlem and Connecticut
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
- makes 8
Peter Kuruvita’s street food inspired Sri Lankan egg rolls are made with spiced tuna and potato, wrapped in pancakes, crumbed and deep fried
Method1. Place the tuna, half a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of roughly ground black pepper in a pot, and cover with water. Place over medium heat until the tuna has cooked through. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
3. Combine the cooked tuna and potatoes in a bowl and mash until smooth but still reasonably dry. Season with salt and pepper.
4. For the pancakes: whisk the flour, eggs and milk until smooth then stir through the vegetable oil. Set aside for 10 minutes until ready to fry
5. For the tempered spices: heat the oil in a pan over a high heat. Add the cayenne pepper, chillies, onion, garlic and curry leaves and fry until the onions are golden brown. Remove from the heat and combine with the fish and potato mixture. Set aside.
6. Make the pancakes by heating a little oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Once the oil is hot, spoon a ladelful of the mixture into the pan and swirl to coat.
7. Once the pancake is loose enough to come away from the pan, flip it over and cook the other side. You don’t want the pancake to crisp – it should still be soft enough to fold without tearing. Repeat with remaining batter. Once all the batter has been used, set the pancakes aside.
8. To make the crumbing mix, whisk the flour, eggs and water in a bowl and set aside.
9. To assemble the egg rolls, lay a pancake on a clean work bench. Top with a small amount of the fish and potato mixture. Place an egg half on top. Fold each side of the pancake into the centre to form a square parcel. Use some of the egg and flour mixture to help the edges stick if necessary. Repeat with remaining pancakes and filling.
10. Coat a roll in the flour and egg mixture, and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat with remaining rolls and set aside until ready to fry.
11. To cook the rolls, heat the oil in a pot over high heat until it reaches smoking point. Add the rolls, one at a time one, and fry until crisp and golden. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Serve with a nice cold beer.
- 200 g tuna steaks, cut into chunks
- 200 g new potatoes
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 300 ml vegetable oil, for frying
For the pancakes
For the tempered spices
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, leaves picked from stem
For the crumbing mix
- 75 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml water
- 300 g breadcrumbs