Cashew nut curry
By: From: My Sri Lanka with Peter Kuruvita
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - San Jose
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Denver
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 10
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 1 hour soaking
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Vegetarians will love Peter Kuruvita’s Sri Lankan curry, packed with satisfying cashew nuts in a creamy and fragrant coconut sauce
- 250 g cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 x 10cm piece pandanus leaf (rampe)
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds, ground
- 1/2 ground turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 150 ml coconut cream
- pinch roasted curry powder
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Soak the cashew nuts in a small bowl of water for an hour. Once softened, drain off the water and set to one side to dry off a bit.
2. Meanwhile, heat the ghee in a medium pan over high heat. Once hot, add the onions, curry leaves, chilli and pandanus and stir.
3. Once the onions are fragrant and are starting to change colour, add the cumin, turmeric, chilli powder and the cinnamon stick. Stir over heat until spices are lightly roasted.
4. Add the drained cashew nuts and stir to combine.
5. Add the coconut milk and boil until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
6. Stir in the coconut cream, bring to the boil and remove from heat. Season to taste.
7. Pour into a bowl to serve and top with a little extra coconut cream and some roasted curry powder