By: From: My Sri Lanka with Peter Kuruvita
On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Try Peter Kuruvita’s favourite childhood meal of nutritious breadfruit chunks in a spiced coconut cream sauce
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp vegetable curry powder
- 1 (about 500g) fresh breadfruit, peeled and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 small green chillies, halved lengthways
- 100 g onions, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, leaves picked
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cm piece cinnamon sticks
- 500 ml coconut milk
- pandanus leaf (rampe)
- 1 tsp white mustard seeds, finely ground
- 3 garlic cloves
- 100 ml coconut cream
- pinch roasted dark curry powder
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the coriander, cumin and vegetable curry powder in a small heavy-based frying pan and dry roast over low heat until dark brown.
2. Place the roasted spices, a pinch of salt and all the remaining ingredients except the coconut cream and roasted dark curry powder in a heavy-based saucepan and simmer for 12 minutes or until the breadfruit is tender.
3. To temper the spices: heat the vegetable oil in a small pan until it starts to shimmer and then fry the mustard seeds which will pop so be careful. Turn off the heat and then add the curry leaves and red onion and swirl for a minute.
4. Carefully add the hot spiced oil to the pan of curry and stir to combine.
5. Stirring continuously, add the coconut cream and cook for another 4 minutes or until just below the boil. Do not boil.
6. The sauce should be thick and the breadfruit soft and tender. Season to taste with salt, sprinkle with the roast curry powder and serve. Do not stir in the roasted curry powder.