On TV Tonight
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- 22:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- 23:00 - Rick Stein's Memoirs of a Seafood Chef - Rick Stein's Memoirs of A Seafood Chef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
This light salad recipe by Giancarlo Caldesi brings together roasted butternut squash with prosciutto di San Daniele and Grana Padano cheese for an Italian-inspired treat
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Put the butternut squash pieces and garlic cloves on a baking tray and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, dry roast the pine nuts in a frying pan, if using.
3. Add the onion wedges to the baking tray with a further tablespoon of olive oil and extra salt and pepper. Tuck the thyme under the onions and pumpkin and cook for another 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft and onions lightly caramelised. Leave to cool to room temperature.
4. Separate the leaves of the lettuces and dress with one tablespoon of olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Arrange the pumpkin and onions on top of the leaves, discarding the garlic and thyme. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and the remaining olive oil.
5. Scatter over the cheese and pine nuts if using, and decorate with two slices of prosciutto on top.
- 800 g butternut squash, or pumpkin, cut into eight even slices
- 1 garlic clove, skin on and lightly crushed
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 20 g pine nuts, (optional)
- 2 red onions, cut into 8 wedges
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 3 little gem lettuce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices prosciutto, preferably Prosciutto di San Daniele
- 25 g grana padano cheese, shaved
Tips and suggestions
- This recipe works just as well with pumpkin as an alternative to butternut squash