On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Austria
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Weird and Wonderful
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search of Perfection - Trifle
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Donal Skehan uses haddock and cod in this creamy, cheesy potato topped bake
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan/gas mark 6. Place the potatoes and a large pinch of salt in a large saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil over a high heat.
2. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan. Mash the potatoes with 25g of the butter then stir through the spring onions.
3. Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan, add the garlic, carrot and celery and sauté until tender. Remove the vegetables from the pan and place in a large high-sided baking dish with the haddock and cod chunks and set aside.
4. Melt the rest of the butter in another saucepan and stir in the flour quickly so you have a smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the warm milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a steady simmer and simmer for 2 minutes until the sauce becomes thick.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and add in three-quarters of the grated cheese (keeping the rest for the topping), the Dijon mustard and season with salt and black pepper. Pour the sauce over the fish and vegetables and mix to combine.
6. Gently spread the mashed potato over the top, season with a little extra salt and black pepper, sprinkle on the reserved grated cheese and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until crisp and golden on top.
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 100 g butter
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 sticks of celery
- 300 g smoked haddock, skinned, boned and cut into chunks
- 300 g cod fillets, skinned, boned and cut into chunks
- 75 g plain flour
- 500 ml warm milk
- 110 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp mustard