Curried yogurt chicken with turmeric rice
By: From: Everyday Gourmet
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Justine Schofield’s chicken is marinated in coconut cream, lime and coriander before being baked
- 200 g yogurt
- 70 g coconut cream
- Bunch of chopped coriander
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 chicken thighs, cut into two and fat removed
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 200 g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 thyme
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Pre heat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. In a pan, fry off the onions and garlic until soft in the oil. Add the curry powder and chilli and cook off for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Add the lime zest and juice, yoghurt, coconut cream, coriander, salt and pepper and combine well. Set aside ½ of the marinade.
2. Add the chicken pieces to the rest of the marinade and coat well. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a baking tray. Bake for 35 minutes in the oven.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the rice by frying off the onion in the vegetable oil until soft, in a heavy based large pot. Add the turmeric and mix well. Add the rice and coat well. Add the herbs and water and season well. Place the lid on the pot and cook in the oven on 180C/160 fan/gas 4 for 30 minutes with the chicken.
4. While the chicken and rice is cooking. In another small pot add the remaining marinade, yoghurt and tomatoes and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes have collapsed. Season and now add the chilli if desired.
5. Serve chicken with the rice and a dollop of the hot yoghurt sauce.