On TV Tonight
- 20:20 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Simple Classics
- 21:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Baking It
- 21:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Posh Nosh
- Prep time:
- 45 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 30 min
This heart shaped layered dessert by Catherine Fulvio brings a wow-factor to the dinner table
Method1. Preheat the oven to 140°C/Fan 120°C/Gas 1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw large, medium and small heart shapes, measuring 24cm, 20cm and 16cm on the underside of the parchment paper, ensuring that you can see the shape through the paper.
2. Place the egg whites into a bowl. With an electric hand mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually whisk in half of the caster sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Fold in the remaining caster sugar.
3. Using a piping bag with a plain nozzle, spoon the mixture into the bag and following the line of the heart shapes, fill in the shapes with the meringue mixture. Secure the parchment paper to the baking sheet with a little of the meringue mixture to ensure the paper does not lift in the oven.
4. Bake immediately for 1½ hours or until set. Leave the oven door slightly open so that the meringues can cool in the oven.
5. Meanwhile, to prepare the raspberries, place the red wine, honey and thyme in a saucepan and warm through. Remove for the heat. Place the raspberries in a shallow bowl and pour the wine over. Cool and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. To make the filling, melt the chocolate and the butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Allow to cool and then fold in the whipped cream.
7. To make the sauce, using a slotted spoon, gently remove the raspberries from the liquid, taking care not to break them. Strain the liquid and return to the saucepan.
8. Add the arrowroot mix and heat the liquid to thicken to a light sauce consistency. Spread the large and medium meringue hearts with some of the chocolate mixture and top with raspberries. Starting with the largest heart at the bottom, pile the meringues on top of each other.
9. Garnish chocolate shavings and sprigs of thyme. Drizzle generously with the raspberry thyme sauce.
For the meringue mixture
- 6 egg whites
- 360 g caster sugar
For the filling
- 350 g dark chocolate
- 150 ml double cream, whipped
- 90 g butter
For the raspberries
- 600 ml red wine
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 700 g raspberries
- 2 tsp arrowroot, mixed with a little water, to thicken the sauce
- Chocolate shavings (or broken Flake bar) and broken sprigs of thyme
- sauce, to drizzle