Roast sirloin of beef, Oriental style
By: From: Catherine's Family Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - San Jose
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Denver
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 10
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Catherine Fulvio adds a Chinese twist to her roast beef and veg dinner
- 1.2 kg beef sirloin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 shallots, roughly chopped
- 5 cm ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp chinese five spice
- 200 ml beef stock
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
For the roasted sweet potatoes and peppers
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish, over a high heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides.
2. Remove the beef and set aside. Reduce the heat and add the garlic, shallots, ginger and Chinese five spice to the pan. Fry for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the beef stock, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and salt. Bring to the boil and cook briskly for 5 minutes. Return the beef to the casserole dish, turning it to coat in the cooking liquid. Cover and place in the oven for approximately 50 minutes, or until the beef is cooked to your liking.
4. Place the sweet potato wedges and peppers on a roasting tray, sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper, drizzle with the melted butter and toss. Roast for about 20 minutes or until roasted.
5. When the beef is ready, remove from the casserole, cover and leave for 10 minutes to rest before carving. Place the casserole on the hob to keep the sauce warm.
6. Serve sliced on a platter, surrounded by the peppers, sweet potatoes and drizzle over the sauce.