Massaman chicken curry
By: From: Catherine's Family Kitchen
On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Catherine Fulvio’s creamy, nutty curry is full of south Asian flavours
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1.2 kg chicken, jointed
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp massaman curry paste
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 60 g peanuts, toasted
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Steamed Thai fragrant rice
- coriander, for garnish
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Heat the oil in a large wok or deep frying pan and brown the chicken pieces in batches over a high heat. Remove from the pan along with the juices and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat, add 2 tbsp of the coconut milk to the pan and cook for about 20 seconds before adding the curry paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
3. Return the chicken and juices to the pan. Add the remaining coconut milk, stock, peanuts, onions, potatoes, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, sugar, tamarind paste and Thai fish sauce. Stir to combine.
4. Cover and simmer, stirring from time to time for about 35-40 minutes until the chicken is tender. Serve with the steamed rice and garnish with fresh coriander.