On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 3
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 45 min, plus 8 hrs drying time
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- Makes 12
Think pink with these pretty little cakes, flavoured and coloured with beetroot
MethodFor the rose petals
1. Make the crystallized rose petals the day before you want to serve the cupcakes. Lay out a piece of silicon-coated baking paper on a tray. Pick through the petals, choose the 12 best looking ones and lay them on the tray. Brush gently with egg white and sprinkle all over with caster sugar. Leave to dry in a warm place for 8 hours.
2. When you are ready to make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180C.
3. Blend the sugar and butter until light and creamy. Add the egg yolks, flour, pureed beetroot and vanilla and beat until smooth.
4. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until fairly stiff. Take a large spoon of egg white and beat into the cupcake mixture to loosen it a little. Using a large metal spoon fold the remaining egg whites gently through the mix, taking care not to over beat.
5. Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the cakes are firm to the touch. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
For the icing
6. Beat the icing sugar and butter together, either in a food mixer or by hand with a wooden spoon. Add a few drops of rose flower water to taste and a few drops of beetroot juice for colour.
7. Spread generously or pipe over the cooled cupcakes and top each with a rose petal.
Tasty? Experiment with different flavours with our best vegetable cakes
Recipe from Beetroot Cupcakes.
For the crystallized rose petals
- 3 roses, separated into petals
- 1 egg white
- sprinkling caster sugar
For the cupcakes
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 175 g cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained and pureed (hold a few drops of juice back to use as colouring)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing
- 300 g icing sugar
- 150 g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- few drops rose water, to taste
- beetroot juice, to colour
Tips and suggestions
- The rose petals will keep in an airtight box for a few weeks