On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - Queensland Part II
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Slow Food
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Thomasina Miers cooks up a warming and fragrant one pot dish of seafood rice bursting with prawns, langoustine, squid, clams and mussels
Method1. Toast the saffron in a pan, cover with boiling water and soak for 15 minutes.
2. Heat the paella pan, add a generous amount of salt to it, and add prawns, 4 of the sliced garlic cloves and olive oil. Add the squid strips and brown them quickly before setting everything aside for later in a bowl.
3. Add the onions and garlic to the paella pan, season with salt and pepper and fry until softened.
4. Grate the tomatoes, add them to the pan along with the rice, stock, saffron and a little fresh thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring everything to boiling point and then cook over a gentle heat for about 20 minutes.
5. Stir, add more water if necessary, add the shellfish and peas and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes. Do not stir the mixture to ensure a good crust in the bottom of the pan.
6. Add the prawns, squid and garlic back to the pan, along with the langoustines. Put a cloth lined with baking parchment on the top of the paella and allow everything to steam for another ten minutes on a gentle heat.
7. When the rice is ready pock marks will form in the rice and all the liquid will have evaporated. The rice should be tender but still have a firm bite.
8. Put the lettuce in a bowl of salted iced water for a few minutes. Remove the lettuce from the bowl and pat dry and use it to scoop the paella up with.
- large pinch saffron strands, about 15
- 4 large prawns
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 100 ml olive oil
- 250 g squid, prepared and cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned
- 500g paella rice, bahia, bombo or Italian risotto rice
- 1.2 litres fish stock, or chicken stock or water
- handful thyme, leaves picked
- 500 g clams and mussels, scrubbed, de-bearded, cleaned
- handful peas
- 4 langoustines
- little gem lettuce, to serve
- crusty bread, to serve