Fruit and hazelnut upside down cake
By: From: Everyday Gourmet
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus four hours boiling time
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Choose your favourite poached fruit to add to Justine Schofield’s spongy teatime treat
For the cake
- 500 g butter
- 500 g sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 2 oranges
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 560 g plain flour
- 100 g hazelnuts
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the syrup
- 300 g caster sugar
- 300 ml water or juice from zested fruit
For the fruit
- fruit, of your choice, poach this before starting
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the vitamised oranges: Boil oranges in water for 4 hours and then food process the boiled oranges. Par poach your chosen fruit for lining the bottom of the tin later.
2. For the cake: Spray and line cake tin with canola spray. Beat sugar and butter on speed 1 for 2mins, then speed 6 for 3-4mins until white and light and creamy. Add zest and vitamised fruit and vanilla, return to speed 1 for 1min.
3. Add eggs 1x1 beating well after each mix (on speed 1: for 1 min for first egg, upto 3 mins after last egg). Combine dry ingredients together. Fold butter mix into dry ingredients.
4. For the syrup
Bring ingredients to the boil and reduce in pan on stove top, until caramel colour
5. For the fruit: Arrange generous amount of par poached sliced fruit, covering bottom of the tin. Spoon cake mix over fruit. Bake at 160C/140 fan/gas 4 for about 40 mins, until cake springs back to touch. Turn out upside down.