On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Corsica and Sardinia
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Pastry
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 1 hour for chips to dry
- Cook time:
- 30 min
M is for ‘mmmmm mussels’! and Kenny Atkinson even serves up some hot mayonnaise to dip them chips in
Method1. For the mayonnaise: All ingredients should be at room temperature.
Place the yolks into a bowl, add the vinegar and English mustard and whisk, slowly add the oil, whisking at all times until all oil has emulsified to a thick mayonnaise. Season with salt & white pepper, Yorkshire grain mustard. Chill until needed.
2. For the chunky chips: Rinse the potatoes under cold water to remove the excess starch. Place the potatoes into a pan and cover with cold salted water and bring to the boil then turn off the heat and leave the potatoes until they are just cooked. Carefully drain the potatoes and place onto a tray and place into the freezer to dry out approximately 1 hour.
3. Heat the deep fat fryer to 140 degrees, drop the chips into the fryer and cook until the fryer stops bubbling - approximately 8 minutes - this means the moisture has evaporated. Lift the chips and leave to drain. Turn the fryer to 180 degrees and re fry the chips and fry until golden and crisp, drain and season with sea salt, neatly arrange into a serving plate.
4. For the mussels: Place a large deep pan onto the stove and add the oil, add the garlic, shallots, fennel and cook for 1 minute, stirring the veg to prevent it from burning. Add the pernod and reduce, then the wine, bring to the boil and reduce by half (this will take about 2 minutes).
5. Add the double cream and pepper, stir the mussels back into the pan and cover with the lid and reduce by half again (this will take about 2-3½ minutes). Remove the lid and add the chopped parsley & the finely grated lemon zest. Taste the sauce and season if needed.
6. Stir the mussels and remove any that remain closed. Spoon into a deep bowl, pour the sauce over serve with the chips and mayo.
For the spiced mayonnaise
- 3 egg yolks
- 20 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 350 ml rapeseed oil
- white pepper
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
For the chips
- 5 large maris piper potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm by 6cm thick chips
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the mussels