On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Aktar Islam’s recipe for succulent lamb cooked slowly in aromatic spices is a fabulous winter warmer
Method1. Heat oil in a heavy based pot and add the black and green cardamom, cloves, cassia leaves and bark and peppercorns.
2. Add the onion, brown lightly and then add the lamb, Once it has coloured a little, add garlic and ginger paste.
3. Cook out then add all the ground spices apart from garam masala. Add a little salt, and cook the spices out on a low heat adding water in small amounts until the oil separates. This should take about 10 minutes.
4. Add the tomato pulp, season to taste with salt, stir and bring to the boil. Pour over enough boiling water to cover the meat and simmer for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
5. Once the meat is tender, remove to a plate whilst you reduce the sauce a little. Mix the deep fried brown onion and yoghurt together and add it to the sauce. Add the beetroot juice. Check for seasoning, adjust if required.
6. Sprinkle with garam masala just before serving.
- 200 ml mustard oil
- 2 black cardamom
- 6 green cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 4 cassia leaves
- 5 cm cassia bark
- 10 black peppercorns
- 200 g finely sliced onions
- 1 kg lamb shanks
- 3 tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 300 ml strained tomato flesh
- 1 large beetroot, juice only
For the brown onion paste