Rice pudding soufflé with raspberry sauce
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus cooling time
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Gizzi Erskine’s light and fluffy spin on the classic rice pudding served with a fresh raspberry sauce and cream on the side
For the rice pudding
For the soufflé
- unsalted butter, for greasing
- 30 g icing sugar
- 30 g rice flour
- 4 large egg whites, about 125g, room temp
For the sauce
- 100 g raspberries
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 100 ml pouring double cream
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the rice pudding: heat the milk, rice, vanilla pod and seeds, and nutmeg in a small saucepan and slowly bring to the boil.
2. Turn down the temperature and cook over a low heat for about 40 minutes or until the rice is really soft and the mixture is thickened and gooey.
3. Add the sugar into the mixture for the last 10 minutes of cooking. It will be quite sweet but don’t worry, as the addition of egg whites will dilute that. Leave to cool completely.
4. For the soufflé: pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease six ramekins twice with butter then dust with a mixture of icing sugar and rice flour. Then dust with freshly grated nutmeg.
5. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites to medium peaks. Using a large metal spoon, fold one-third of the whisked egg whites into the rice pudding to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
6. Spoon the soufflé mixture up to top of your prepared ramekins and bake for 12 mins for larger restaurant sized ones, or until risen and golden brown on top.
7. For the sauce: put the berries and sugar in a blender and blitz till smooth, then sieve until completely smooth. Set aside until use.
8. Serve the pudding with the raspberry sauce and the cream in separate jugs