On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - The Club, Foo, Tundra & Inn Pub
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 24 hours for the garnish
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 40 min
- Makes 4
Mark Sargeant's comforting steamed lemon puddings dotted with slices of confit lemon served with sweetened whipped cream
Method1. For the lemon confit: using a sharp carving knife or a Japanese slicer, cut the lemons into thin, even slices. Remove any pips, being careful to keep the membranes intact.
2. Put the sugar in a pan over a medium heat, add 100ml of water and stir until dissolved.
3. Bash the lemon grass with the back of a knife to release the flavour and roughly chop.
4. Add the lemon grass, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the lemon slices and poach gently until softened.
6. Then remove from the heat and leave to cool in the syrup. Store in a screw-top jar in their liquid until needed.
7. For the sponge: whisk the butter until fluffy and smooth. Whisk in the sugar until pale white and fluffy.
8. Crack the eggs into a jug along with the single yolk and whisk. Then slowly whisk the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar mixture.
9. Add the flour and fold in gently. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix.
10. Brush pudding mould with butter and flour then line with slices of lemon confit.
11. Put a layer of lemon curd at the bottom of the pudding bowl. Put the mixture on top of the curd in the pudding bowls, fill to 2/3 full.
12. Cover with pleated buttered baking parchment and foil and secure with string. Steam with the lid on for 1 hour, 30 minutes.
13. For the garnish: boil the lemon and the lime rind with the sugar and just enough water to cover the rind. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, then remove and leave to dry, preferably for 24 hours.
14. Turn the puddings out on a plate and top with lemon and the lime rind which has been reduced in sugar and water.
15. For the vanilla chantilly: put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Whisk together until the mixture starts to thicken.
16. Finish by folding with a spatula to prevent over-whipping. Place in the fridge. Serve the sponge with chantilly cream
For the lemon confit
For the sponge
- 125 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 220 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
For the vanilla chantilly
- 200 ml double cream
- 55 g icing sugar
- 1/4 vanilla pods, seeds
- 1/2 lemon, zest only
For the garnish