Middle Eastern chicken kebab
By: From: Perfect...
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - Portland, OR
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Seattle
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 7
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus marinating time
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Treat yourself to Maria Elia’s spiced skewered chicken thighs served in warm pitta breads with salad and a creamy tomato and herb yogurt dressing
For the spiced chicken
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
For the tomato yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250 ml Greek yogurt
- pinch caster sugar
- 2 plum vine tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the spiced chicken: crush the garlic with 2 teaspoons of sea salt and a pinch of black pepper in a pestle and mortar. Stir in the lemon juice, olive oil and spices. Pour over chicken and coat well, refrigerate and marinade for at least an hour or overnight.
2. Pre-heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Fold the chicken thigh in half, and thread widthways onto the two skewers, leaving a 3cm gap between each. Repeat with remaining 11 until you form a solid chicken kebab. Add a little salt and oil to the chicken.
3. Place on a hot griddle pan, and sear on each side. Transfer to a baking tray, and finish in the oven for 40-50 mins, turning halfway. Reserve the cooking juices and pour over the chicken before serving.
4. For the tomato yogurt: crush the garlic with 2 teaspoons of salt and pound until smooth. Place in a bowl and mix with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until required.
5. To serve: stand kebab on a chopping board, point side down, and slice off the meat using a sharp knife. Serve in warm pitta breads, with salad and tomato yogurt.