Wasabi beer battered fish and potato wedges
By: From: Everyday Gourmet
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Enjoy a hint of Japanese in this traditionally British dish by Justine Schofield
For the battered fish
- 4 pin boned fish fillets
- 125 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150 ml beer
- 1 tsp wasabi, powder or paste
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the potato wedges
- 4 large potatoes, Desiree or kipfler
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
For the tartare sauce
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the fish: Heat the oil in a large pot or wok. In a large bowl add the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and start adding the beer. The consistency should be a little thinner than a pancake batter.
2. Dust each piece of fish in the extra flour and wasabi powder. Immediately place in batter, drain excess off and then place in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on some paper towel. Season with some more salt (mixed with a little wasabi powder) and lemon wedges.
3. For the potato wedges: wash potatoes thoroughly. Add to a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and let the potatoes cool slightly.
4. Cut the potatoes into wedges or large slices. On a medium to high heat, melt the butter and oil in a large frying pan and sauté the wedges until golden brown. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes or until the wedges are crispy and soft inside. Season with salt.
5. For the tartare sauce: combine all ingredients.