Tuna croquettes with wasabi mayonnaise
By: From: Everyday Gourmet
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Justine Schofield gives these delicious fish cakes an accompanying kick
- 2x200 g pieces of tuna, or 370g canned tuna
- 350 g cold mashed potato
- 1 large French shallot, finely diced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Zest and juice of half a lemons
- 1 tbsp capers
- 3 sprigs parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the coating
For the mayonnaise
- 100 g mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp paste wasabi
- 120 ml vegetable oil, for shallow frying
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and the wasabi (you may add extra if you like) and season to taste. If cooking your own tuna: Pre heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 6. Place the tuna fillets on a baking tray and lightly oil and season. Place in the oven and bake for 6 minutes or until the fish is just cooked.
2. Once the fish is cool, flake the (or simply add the canned tuna) into a large bowl with the mashed potatoes. Add the mustard, French shallots, cayenne, lemon juice and zest, capers, parsley and egg. Season to taste. With a wooden spoon, incorporate all the ingredients well. If the mixture seems a little wet add a little of the bread crumbs.
3. Divide the tuna mixture into golf ball size portions and roll to make perfect circles. Place on a baking tray and gently press down on each fish cake with a fork.
4. Dip the fish cakes in the flour, then the egg wash and finally into the bread crumbs. Shallow-fry the croquettes in the oil until golden and crispy. Place on some paper towelling and drain off the oil. Serve hot or cold with the mayonnaise.