On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 4
- Prep time:
- 35 min, plus standing time
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Ben O’Donoghue loads up skewers with chunks of spiced lamb and tomatoes served with an aubergine and yogurt salad
Method1. For the aubergine and spiced yogurt salad: slice the aubergines about 2cm thick and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt. Stand for 10 minutes. Heat your barbecue flat plate to a medium high heat.
2. Rinse the aubergine slices to remove the salt and pat dry with absorbent paper. Add two tablespoons of sunflower oil to the flat plate. Cook the aubergine until dark brown and tender on both sides. Arrange on a serving plate and cover to keep warm.
3. Add another tablespoon of oil to the flat plate and add the onion and cumin seeds. Cook until just tender and slightly coloured. Arrange over the cooked aubergine. Dress the aubergine and onion with the yogurt and sprinkle with ground cumin.
4. For the lamb skewers: Slice the lamb back straps into 12 or 24 cubes (either 2 or 3 pieces per skewer).
5. Pound the garlic clove in a mortar and pestle to form a smooth paste. Add the harissa spice mix and lemon juice and combine to form a paste.
6. Rub the lamb pieces well with the spice mix and then skewer alternatively with lamb, tomato and lamb to use all the meat and tomatoes.
7. Cook your lamb skewers over a medium high heat until medium; remove from the heat and rest. Serve the skewers on top of the salad and scatter with the chopped herbs.
For the lamb skewers
- 1 kg back strap lamb
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp harissa spice mix
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 32 baby Roma tomatoes, or large cherry tomatoes
- 16 wooden skewers, soaked in water
For the aubergine and spiced yogurt salad
- 1 brown onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 80 ml bio or natural yogurt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 10 g chopped mint
- 10 g chopped flat-leaf parsley
Tips and suggestions
- If the aubergine absorbs all the oil before it is cooked then add a couple more tablespoons to the flat plate.