On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Fast Food and Street Food
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Kath Clarke conjures up the ultimate afternoon cake to accompany a cuppa
Method1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Spray cake mould with canola spray. Beat sugar and butter until white, light and creamy, (speed 1 for 2 mins, then speed 4 mins)
2. Stop and scrape the sides to ensure all the butter is being mixed. Beat for another 2 mins. Add lemon zest and bergamot. Turn back to speed 2 and add one quarter of the eggs, beat well for another 2 mins.
3. Add a few more eggs, 2 mins beat, add few more eggs, 2 mins beat, after last egg addition, beat on 3 for 2 mins. Combine dry ingredients together, then add into mix until just incorporated – scraping sides so that everything is incorporated.
4. Pour into tin leaving 5mm to the top and bake for 25mins, checking for just being firm, not hard. (brown on top with little bubbles on surface.) Cool and turn out of tin.
5. For the icing: Pour boiling water a little at a time to melt butter, keep stirring until smooth and glossy. only add water as you need to.
6. For the lavender garnish, simply roll fresh lavender in caster sugar
- 500 g butter
- 450 g sugar
- 2 tsp bergamot extract or orange blossom water or rose water
- The zest of 4 lemons
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp earl grey tea leaves
- 300 g ground almonds
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the icing
- 115 g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp bergamot extract or rose water