On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Cake with Friends
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Classic Twists
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus soaking
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Baked mushroom risotto is a never-fail recipe, great for an impressive dinner party main or midweek meal
Method1. Place the porcini mushrooms in a heatproof bowl, pour over the boiling water and leave for 20 minutes until soft.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Melt 25g of the butter in a large casserole dish or ovenproof saucepan on a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 6–8 minutes or until soft and turning golden. Meanwhile, pour the stock into a separate pan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer on the hob.
3. While the onions are cooking, drain the porcini mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Roughly chop the mushrooms and set aside, then strain the soaking liquid (to remove any sand or grit) and add to the simmering stock. Season this liquid with salt and pepper.
4. Add the chopped porcini mushrooms to the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 1–2 minutes. Next, tip in the rice and gently stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
5. Pour in the wine, then bring to a simmer, stirring as the mixture heats up, and cook for 2–3 minutes or until the wine has evaporated. Pour in the simmering stock, stirring to combine, then bring to the boil, cover and bake in the oven for 10–12 minutes or until just al dente.
6. Meanwhile, melt 25g of the butter in a frying pan on a medium heat, add the flat mushrooms and fry, stirring occasionally, for 3–5 minutes or until softened and lightly golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
7. Remove the risotto from the oven and add the grated Parmesan cheese and remaining 75g butter, then use a wooden spoon to vigorously beat everything together. Stir in the fried mushrooms, along with the marjoram or parsley, lemon juice and mascarpone (if using). Serve immediately with extra Parmesan on top.
- 50 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 400 ml boiling water
- 125 g butter, softened
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 800 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 400 g risotto rice
- 200 ml white wine
- 500 g flat mushrooms, sliced
- 8 tbsp freshly grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 4 tbsp chopped marjoram or parsley
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp mascarpone