On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie at Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- 21:30 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 2
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 6 hrs 20 min
Rachel Allen’s simply roasted pork comes with crisp crackling and golden winter vegetables
Method1. Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Using a sharp knife, score the rind of the pork in a criss-cross pattern at 5mm intervals, cutting through the fat but not into the meat itself. (Or ask your butcher to do this for you, if you prefer.) Sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of salt, rubbing it into the lines scored in the fat, then place the pork in a large roasting tin and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
2. Reduce the temperature to 150C/130C fan/gas 2 and continue to cook for a further 5 hours.
3. After 5 hours, take the pork out of the oven and turn the temperature back up to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Pour off the fat into a bowl, leaving any juices in the tin. Place the garlic, squash, leeks and sage leaves around the pork. Then pour over 3 tablespoons of the reserved fat, season with salt and pepper and toss the vegetables together in the tin.
4. Return to the oven for 40–50 minutes or until the pork rind has turned into delicious crackling and the vegetables are cooked through and golden. Serve as it is at the table or transfer to a large plate.