On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Piedmont
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Feast
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus chilling
- Cook time:
- 20 min
The mixed spice gives these delicious Freedom Food mince pies an added warm flavour – and the pastry’s so good you can use any left over to make a few cookies
Method1. Place the flour and butter in a food processor and whiz for 40 seconds. Add the sugar, one egg and the yolk, the orange zest and mixed spice. Combine until the mixture leaves the sides of the processor bowl. Spoon onto cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan170°C, Gas Mark 5.
3. Lightly beat the remaining egg for the egg wash. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll out the pastry until it is 2mm thick. Stamp out 18 x 7.5cm rounds with a pastry cutter and put in the base of 2 patty trays. Brush the edges with the beaten egg.
4. Stamp out 18 x 6cm rounds for the lids and use a star cutter to stamp out star shapes. Brush the lids with the beaten egg wash and top with the pastry stars. Brush again with the egg wash. Place the lids on top of the mincemeat, sealing the pastry to the edges of the bases.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown. Lightly dust with icing sugar.