Spicy mince pies
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - San Jose
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Denver
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 10
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus chilling
- Cook time:
- 20 min
The mixed spice gives these delicious Freedom Food mince pies an added warm flavour – and the pastry’s so good you can use any left over to make a few cookies
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the flour and butter in a food processor and whiz for 40 seconds. Add the sugar, one egg and the yolk, the orange zest and mixed spice. Combine until the mixture leaves the sides of the processor bowl. Spoon onto cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan170°C, Gas Mark 5.
3. Lightly beat the remaining egg for the egg wash. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll out the pastry until it is 2mm thick. Stamp out 18 x 7.5cm rounds with a pastry cutter and put in the base of 2 patty trays. Brush the edges with the beaten egg.
4. Stamp out 18 x 6cm rounds for the lids and use a star cutter to stamp out star shapes. Brush the lids with the beaten egg wash and top with the pastry stars. Brush again with the egg wash. Place the lids on top of the mincemeat, sealing the pastry to the edges of the bases.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown. Lightly dust with icing sugar.