On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Winter's on the Way - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 3
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Winter's on the Way - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 4
- 22:00 - River Cottage: Winter's on the Way - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 1
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 15 min
What better way to warm up than with Rachel Allen’s tender beef stew? Capers, fresh herbs and olives make it all the more special
Method1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
2. Pour the olive oil into a large casserole dish or ovenproof saucepan with a lid on a medium–high heat and, when hot, add the onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Fry for 6–8 minutes or until the onions are soft and lightly golden.
3. Tip in the beef and stir in the dish or pan for 2–3 minutes to brown the meat, then add the tomatoes and sugar. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
4. Remove from the oven, season with a little more salt, then stir in the potatoes, cover and return to the oven for another hour or until the beef is tender and the potatoes are cooked through. Stir in the capers, olives and herbs, taste for seasoning and serve.
Recipe taken from Rachel Allen's Easy Meals.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 kg stewing beef, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 x 400 g tins of canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 700 g new potatoes, (unpeeled), larger ones halved
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp pitted and chopped black olive
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme or rosemary