On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Piedmont
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Feast
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
A favourite seasonal roasted vegetable is encased in a cheesy pastry crust in this festive canapé recipe from Nikki Crichton
Method1. Heat the oven to 180C. Take one filo sheet and brush lightly with melted butter then fold in half so the buttered sides stick. Repeat to form a strip a quarter of the original size.
2. Butter one side and sprinkle with parmesan so there is a thin, even covering. Take a parsnip, line it up with the narrow edge of the pastry and roll until half way through the strip. Cut away the remaining pastry for the next parsnip. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and repeat until all parsnips are wrapped.
3. Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until crisp and golden on the outside.
4. For the garnish: serve on a platter with a dusting of parmesan snow.
- 24 sticks of parsnips, pre-roasted
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 50 g butter, melted
- 120 g parmesan, or vegetarian Italian hard cheese, grated
For the garnish
- 50 g parmesan, (or vegetarian Italian hard cheese)
Tips and suggestions
- pre-roasted carrots make a good alternative to parsnips