On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Bologna
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Beer and Cider
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Bejeweled
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
David Rocco replaces meat with a delicious combination of courgette, mint and Italian cheese in these meatballs served with a cherry tomato salad
Method1. For the meatballs: Add the courgette in boiling salted water for 4 minutes then drain excess water. Transfer to a baking dish and allow to cool. Squeeze out excess water from the boiled courgette.
2. In a mixing bowl, add courgette, scamorza cheese, pecorino cheese, mint leaves, eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix well until ingredients are evenly distributed. With your hands, shape the meatballs into the size of golf balls. Coat the balls with the breadcrumbs.
3. For the tomato salad: To make the tomato salad, add cherry tomatoes, basil and a pinch of salt to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and mix together.
4. Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan. Gently place the meatballs into the hot oil and let fry until golden and crispy. Transfer to a plate with an absorbent paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve with the tomato salad.
For the meatballs
- 3 large courgettes, chopped into small chunks
- 250 g smoked scamorza cheese, cubed, or as much as you need
- 250 g pecorino cheese, cubed
- 1 small bunch mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 250 g breadcrumbs, plus extra for coating
- 375 ml extra virgin olive oil, for frying
For the tomato salad
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 basil leaves, torn
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil