On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Lancashire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - North Yorkshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Herefordshire
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Sophie Grigson makes a creamy brussel sprout bake that’s fit for a Christmas feast
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Simmer the sprouts in salted water until almost but not quite cooked (around 4 minutes). Drain thoroughly, and cut in half.
2. Sauté the bacon and hazelnuts in the butter and oil in a wide frying pan until lightly browned. Add the sprouts and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring almost constantly. Add the double cream and turmeric, bring up to the boil, and let it bubble away merrily for some 2-4 minutes until reduced to a rich sauce, adding the parsley. Season with a touch of salt and plenty of pepper.
3. Draw off the heat, stir in a dash of lemon juice, then spoon into a gratin dish. Mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan, and scatter evenly over the sprouts. Bake for about 20 minutes until the top is golden brown, with the cream bubbling through here and there.
4. Remove from the oven and rest for a couple of minutes before serving.