On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The West Country
- 21:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - Scotland
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Pies
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus 35 mins cooling
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- makes 12 muffin-sized cupcakes
Inspiration for these delicious gluten-free Cake Angels cupcakes came from the classic Bakewell tart. The ground almonds make a really moist sponge
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Line the tin with muffin cases.
2. In a large mixing bowl, use a hand-held electric mixer on a high speed setting to cream together the dairy-free spread and sugar for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually add the beaten eggs on a medium speed setting, mixing well between each addition. Don’t worry if the mixture curdles slightly; just turn the mixer setting up to high for a couple of seconds and the mixture will become smooth again.
4. Fold in the sifted flour, ground almonds, almond extract and xanthan gum using a large metal spoon so you don’t knock the air out.
5. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cases, filling each threequarters full. I use a level ice-cream scoop of mixture, which ensures an equal amount in each case. The mixture is quite firm, so level with the
back of a teaspoon.
6. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen, golden and the sponge springs back when touched. If necessary, rotate the tin and finish baking for a further 2 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a metal cooling rack.
8. Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, make the glacé icing. Gently warm the lemon juice in a small heavy-based saucepan over a low heat (this will help the icing to set).
9. Gradually add the warmed lemon juice to the sifted icing sugar, beating together until you have a nice glossy icing. If it is a little runny, add some extra icing sugar. If it is a little too firm, add some more lemon juice.
10. Place the raspberry jam in a small bowl and stir until smooth and runny. Using the apple corer, remove a plug of sponge out of the middle of each cupcake. Slice the top off each plug of sponge and put to one side.
11. Pour a teaspoon of jam into each cupcake and pop the sliced sponge top back on top to seal it in. Spoon the glacé icing over the top of the cupcakes and decorate with half a glacé cherry.
12. Store the cakes in an airtight container for up to five days.
Recipe taken from Cake Angels by Julia Thomas (Collins, £16.99)
For the cupcake mixture
- 200 g dairy-free spread
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 100 g wheat-free and gluten-free self-raising flour
- 100 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 6 glacé cherries, halved, for the icing
- juice of 1 lemons
- 225 g icing sugar, sifted
Tips and suggestions
- If you don’t have an apple corer, use a small sharp knife to cut a plug out of the sponge. Just remember not to cut right through to the bottom of the cakes.