On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Game and Mushrooms
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Charcuterie
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Silvena Rowe puts an Eastern Mediterranean spin on a favourite British snack, perfect for sharing round at drinks parties
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6 and line a couple of baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Combine the lamb, garlic, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, dried mint, oregano, chilli flakes, paprika and sumac in a bowl and add some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine or, if you have a mincer, pass the mixture through it at least twice.
3. Roll out the puff pastry to a square about 5mm thick, then cut it into long strips roughly 6-8cm wide.
4. Shape the meat mixture into long, thin sausages and lay them down the centre of each strip.
5. Brush the edges of the pastry strips with water and roll the pastry around the sausage lengthways, pressing to seal the pastry.
6. Brush the top of each sausage roll with egg yolk and sprinkle with the hemp or black onion seeds. Place on the prepared baking trays and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Cut each sausage roll into 3cm pieces so you have bite-size sausage rolls and serve.
- 500 g minced lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 pinches sumac
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds or black onion seeds
Tips and suggestions
- Sujuk is a type of Eastern Mediterranean spicy sausage. The meat used varies according to the traditions of the regions in which it's made – you can use pork or beef if preferred.
A good quality brand of ready-rolled puff pastry can be used here if you like.